What is the trick to flossing?
Oct 24, 2016 @ 09:41
Did you know that brushing with a regular toothbrush and not flossing can leave as much as 50% of the plaque on your teeth? Plaque is a sticky coating of bacteria that constantly grows on teeth and gums. If left, this can lead to gingivitis and cavities. Flossing is recommended at least once a day.
What is the proper way to floss?
- Wind the two ends of an 18″ piece of floss around the middle fingers of each hand.
- Then pinch the floss in both hands with your thumb and index finger, leaving 1-2″ from your middle finger.
- Use your thumbs to direct the floss between the contacts of the upper teeth and your index fingers for the lower teeth.
- The floss needs to be brought to the gum line and wrapped around each tooth in a “C” shape.
- Slide up and down against the tooth surface with the floss and be sure to go below the gum line as well.
- If your gums still bleed after two weeks of daily flossing, be sure to schedule an appointment with your dentist.
Flossing is a very important habit to prevent gum disease and cavities and ensure a lifelong healthy smile. Remember, we want to floss only the teeth we want to keep! Posted by your dental hygienist, Jenny.