Straighten Your Smile With Dr. MacDonald
Over the years, the dental field has created multiple alternatives to traditional metal braces. While those orthodontic alternatives produce great results, metal braces remain the most tried and true method for straightening teeth. With the help of modern technology, braces have become much more attractive and are more user-friendly than ever before.
At Triad Cosmetic Dentistry, we feature multiple orthodontic options for our patients, including Invisalign and Six-Month Smiles. But for some patients, traditional metal braces are the ideal option for achieving their desired results.
Traditional Braces: What Are They?
Traditional braces are made up of individual brackets that are attached to the front surfaces of your teeth. These brackets are held together by an archwire that stretches across the teeth. Additional support is often provided by rubber bands called elastics that help to adjust the position of your bite.
With braces, you’ll visit our office about once a month so Dr. Whaley can tighten the archwire across the brackets, gradually moving your teeth into their proper alignment. Individual treatment times will vary for each patient depending on the severity of your case – lasting anywhere between a few months to a few years.
The Benefits of Braces
Your teeth can affect more than just your oral health, and crooked or misaligned teeth can cause issues with your overall health and appearance. Traditional metal braces provide an array of benefits, including:
- Provide you with a straight, healthy smile
- Correct a misaligned jaw
- Boost your confidence
- Affordable treatment
- Improve your oral health
- Strong and durable orthodontic treatment
Why Choose Traditional Braces?
Some patients aren’t bothered by misaligned teeth and view them as mere cosmetic imperfections. But orthodontic issues can actually contribute to a range of health complications such as jaw pain, cavities, gum disease, excessive wear on your teeth, and difficulty chewing.
These possible health problems don’t include the impact that crooked teeth can have on your self-confidence. For all of these reasons and more, it’s crucial to correct any teeth alignment issues as soon as possible – and traditional metal braces still remain the most versatile and reliable orthodontic treatment.
Caring for Your Braces
If you and Dr. Whaley decide that braces are the best orthodontic option for you, there are some things you should keep in mind when caring for your braces, including:
- Avoid foods that aren’t brace-friendly – This includes chewy foods, like caramels or other soft candies, as well as very hard or crunchy foods. Certain fruits and vegetables can get stuck in your braces, so be sure to cut them into smaller pieces before consuming them. Dr. Whaley will give you a list of foods to avoid to keep your braces in great shape and decrease your risk of developing cavities.
- Brush and floss appropriately – Taking proper care of your teeth is always important, but is especially emphasized when you have braces. A regular oral routine will keep your braces looking good and help avoid staining your teeth. It may take some time to learn how to properly brush your teeth with braces, but it will get easier with time.
- Keep up with follow-up appointments – Seeing Dr. Whaley regularly allows for any adjustments to the braces to be made and gives you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have or voice your concerns.
Visit Triad Cosmetic Dentistry to Straighten Your Teeth
If you suffer from teeth alignment issues, Triad Cosmetic Dentistry features traditional metal braces as a reliable, effective orthodontic treatment. To learn more about orthodontic treatment with Dr. Whaley, call our Archdale office (336) 434-3186 and schedule an appointment. You can also get in touch through our online contact form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.